Sunday, December 9, 2007

What now????

So yesterday I tried to start my old van (5 yrs. really isn't old). It wouldn't start, but made the characteristic clicking sound which usually indicates a dead or low battery. So I ran to Pep Boys to buy a new battery. The guy looked one up and sold it to me. I didn't get to put it in, since I had a party to go to last night. Yes, there was some drinking, but I didn't get TOO loaded. So this morning for shits and giggles I tried the van once more. Still cranked and clicked, but no start. Fine. I take out the battery and its clearly the wrong size. Fudge: back to Pep Boys. But I now recalled that I had just recently replaced the battery and had gone so far as to dig up the receipt, take out the "old" battery and bring it with me while I return the wrong sized one the store guy gave me. He takes my old battery and runs the free diagnostic on it while I return the new battery. Old battery is fine and fully charged. So I buy a Haynes car repair book (its about that time in the life of the can anyway) and determine it is probably the starter. So I go back home and try to take out the starter. About halfway through unbolting some things I decide: perhaps I should buy the new starter first, that way I can see how much of the entire starting mechanism I need to remove.
Great. So after a trip back to Pep Boys buying the starter, I come home and settle in on some lunch and get the kids to nap time. Back to the Van! I try taking out the starter but I cannot losen one of the bolts that mounts it to the engine. Of course, it doesn't help that the idiots at Dodge put it directly under the exhaust manifold so you can't actually see the bolt or get at it.
Regardless, (notice I didn't say irregardless, as that is not a word) I can't finish the job. So I spend another 30 minutes putting the whole kit and kaboodle back together.
At this point I am not happy. But for S&G's (see above) I decide to try the van. It works. With the old starter. Now do I trust it? Probably not. After all this I am going to take it to Pep Boys and have them put in the starter I bought. After all, it is bound to fail again. Do I really want to find out the hard way??
Fun times.
I got a game for my Wii on Black Friday called Red Steel. It is cool. You're like a bodyguard and you get guns and swords. Fighting is cool and the world is very realistic and 3-d looking. I get extra "respect points" for crouching around and cappin' some bad guys from above or through a window. I only have gotten to play it a couple of times, but you can play against other people and stuff, so not bad for $9.99 at CCity.
Big business news: Compusa out of business. That's what my bro tells me. He lives in Austin and they are a Dallas company, so it made the news, which he works for. News 8 Austin.
Alright, time to get this baby to bed. Giggity.

-K

2 comments:

furiousBall said...

even though i am an expert on all things Van, I can not help you.

David J said...

so we were talkin about a van like an automobile right? I wont be able to look Van in the face at work if you were talkin about playing with his starter