Thursday, December 6, 2007

Perspective

Hello world.
This week has been a bit much, all in all. I was not able to get around to blogging and there are very good reasons. I don't think I can mention them all just yet. But there are.
Tuesday night I was completely chewed out by my lovely wife for being late leaving work. Long and short of it was that she waited in the van for me for 45 minutes, while I didn't answer her calls to both my desk and cel phone. I was talking to my Director, but he would've understood if I had answered the calls while we chatted. But I was rude and my wife let me have it. I didn't speak more than a few words to her the rest of the night. As for making up, didn't happen as another little bombshell diverted our attention. She is pretty sad and now I need to focus on trying to bring her back around to the happy side of life.
I guess that is the way it is sometimes, huh? Things can go well for a while and then life challenges you. Looking at life, I think I tend to be a glass half-full kind of person and my wife is the opposite. I suppose the balance keeps us under tension at times, but helps to balance our view of the world; our perspective.
At any rate, the holidays are approaching (started already for some ;) Happy Chanukah!) It seems like this year snuck past me while I worked. I don't know that I like that feeling. I really like to enjoy life more.
Seems like an eternity since I worked at Commerce. The more time passes, the less I miss the folks who don't keep in touch, and the more I miss the folks reading this here and now. Thanks guys for keeping in touch. I am surprised that some people I thought would stay in touch dropped me like the plague. I suppose to some extent I must have mis-judged them. Well, I cannot let that get to me. Perhaps I'll send people fruit baskets or something to remind them that life is "sweeter" than work alone.
I actually had a longing for one more long commute, but after the recent "blizzard" ;) I thought better of that longing. I am not missing the commute at all. (Even when commuting in silence while being yelled at.) Yes, you heard right, me in silence!
As for stocks, the rising market makes me even more skeptical. What fundamentals have gotten better? Perhaps oil, but the housing and "credit crunch" are in their Little Nicky stage on their way to full-fledged devilhood. Jobs, spending, and consumer sentiment are at 5 year lows. Yes, that means people are about as bummed out as they were after some crazy fuckers dropped two buildings and killed thousands. That is certainly not a good sign. And though the fed has lowered rates and banks are getting their funded money cheaper, the consumer doesn't see much of that, which means the banks are pocketing the difference to make up for the "people" who decided to buy too much against their home equity. Why do we always pay for those idiots? I suppose in a free-society that stuff happens.
Well, hope everyone is getting on out there in happy land.
Some funny posts to make you laugh:
Classic example of how rich people think they are environmental, but aren't
Notice the taglines: premier usually doesn't equate to cheap and poisonous and one of the 100 best citizens (where... in North Korea??)
Classic picture humor. Spend hours. They're damn funny.
That's all for now.
-K

4 comments:

furiousBall said...

you're good people Paul. we've been through two places of work together and it would be good to work with you again. just stop starring at my butt when i walk away

kuntzy said...

thanks van. you're good people too. i hope all is well for you now. let me know if anything changes for you at work. i have some contacts to help out if you need them. ;)

David J said...

wait, you mean Paul isnt the only one that stairs at Van's butt? Oops, was that out loud?

Paul, if it makes you feel better, I got nailed Sunday night for falling asleep for 5 minutes on the couch and when my defense was "I would like to see you get up at 5 AM every day and go a full day and all night, everyday"....that wasn't a good idea. All he!! broke loose and all week she's been getting up at like 6 AM to prove a point. So maybe its the time of the month or something. Let's just say the couch Sunday night never treated me worse. I couldn't sleep at all and I am still trying to catch up.
We need to do a half-way point rondevous (sp?). Meet you half way down to DE for wings or something. It just doesnt sit right that this is it. Let me know your thoughts. you as well Van, let's get in the car and meet Paul half way for an hour or 3.

David J said...

ps- Paul, now you got me thinkin, and I am fired up now (and dont really want to be this early in the morning)....I was at my last job for 8 fucking years. I email some of those people that I sat next to, worked with, sweated with, cried with, etc and dont hear a word back from them. What the fuck? How hard is it to reply to a stinkin email? Its not like I am asking for a "hello squeeze of your breast" or a 3 hour winded conversation. I mean I went to hell and back with them at times on projects, getting bought out by another company etc. Now you got me all pissed off. Its like I never even existed, like an ant fart, gone in the wind. Makes you feel like shit. I haven't become close with anyone at Commerce like I did at my old job so I guess I wont have to deal with this feeling after my days here are over which is good